Dubai Media City (DMC) is a free zone that is, as the name suggests, the regional hub for media firms, including online media, news agencies, advertising and broadcasting. It was established in 2000, and has requisite media infrastructure (like fibre optic cable connections) already set up. It has a media community of more than 20,000 people in 2,000 international and regional media organizations. DMC houses offices of renowned media companies like CNN, CNBC, Reuters, Sony and Bertelsmann, as well as the International Cricket Council, the global governing body of cricket.
Dubai Media City was built to establish Dubai as the region’s media hub. It has been encouraging the media community as well as independent media professionals in the United Arab Emirates. As per its vision, DMC was set up to create a friendly environment for the media organizations including publishing, news agencies, advertising, production, and broadcast facilities. Dubai Media City is empowered by Dubai Technology & Media Free Zone Authority (DTMFZA), now called as Dubai Creative Clusters Authority (DCCA) and is managed by TECOM Investments.
DMC has established media business centres to foster pertinent talent and entrepreneurship in Dubai. For freelancers venturing out in the field of media and entertainment, DMC is a productive base. It’s a location where media businesses can operate in an environment that benefits out of the synergy between media & entertainment, marketing, broadcasting and publishing industries.
Why Set Up Your Business in Dubai Media City?
Dubai Media City is a free zone which creates a dynamic environment for media companies to invest in. Below are few reasons why you should set up your business in DMC:
- Provision of 100% foreign ownership
- No personal income tax
- Relaxed visa and operational procedures
- Excellent media infrastructure
- Media-friendly environment
- 24-hour support services
- Dedicated infrastructure
- No customs duty on import and/or re-export
- Free flow of currency
- No restriction on hiring a foreign employee
- No personal or corporate tax at least for 50 years
- No minimum capital requirement
- Access to knowledgeable workers
- One stop shop for government services
- Simplified and friendly company laws
Business Sectors in Dubai Media City
Dubai Media City supports many different kinds of business ventures. Here, you can choose from among the following business segments:
- Business Information
- Advertisement & Communication
- Event Support Services
- Media and Marketing Services
- Media Support Services
- New Media
- Non-Profit Associations
- Post Production
- Public Relation
Types of Legal Entities in Dubai Media City
Any media related individual or corporate can register their business in this Dubai Free Zone as one of the following legal entities:
1. Free Zone Establishment (FZE or FZ-LLC)
A free zone establishment can have only a single shareholder.
2. Free Zone Company (FZC/FZCO)
A free zone company is a business entity with 2 to 5 shareholders.
3. Branch of a Foreign Company
A foreign company branch is a company dependent on its parent company existing in a country abroad.
4. Branch of a Local Company
Any UAE registered corporate person can set up a branch in Dubai Media City.
A freelancer is any person who wants to provide services on one’s own, rather than under any company brand name.
Permissible Licensing Options for Companies in Dubai Media City
Once you have decided on the type of business activity and legal entity, it is meet to get the license after submitting certain documents. Here are the types of licenses available in DMC:
1. Service License
Service license permits the holder to render any service activities inside the free zone. given, the provided services must be the same as those stipulated in the parent company's license in the UAE or abroad.
2. Freelance License
A freelance License holder can start providing services by his/or her own name than depending on any company or brand name.
How to Set Up a Business in Dubai Media City?
Business setup procedures and documents are not the same for all businesses in Dubai Media City. It depends on the type of entity you choose to start.
1. Free Zone Limited Liability Company (FZ-LLC)
Stage 1: Applying for initial approval of the license by providing the following documents:
|Individual as Shareholder||Corporate Entity as Shareholder|
|Application form for the license||Application form for the license|
|Detailed business plan||Detailed business plan|
|Passport copy of shareholders, manager, director(s), and legal representative (if appointed)||Passport copy of shareholders, manager, director(s), and legal representative (if appointed)|
|Certificate of company incorporation|
Stage 2: Submitting the relevant documents and paying the prescribed fees amount. You can pay the fees once you select the suitable office space for your business. The list of documents includes:
|FZ-LLC with Individual as a Shareholder||FZ-LLC with Corporate Entity as a Shareholder|
|Form for company registration||Application for registration|
|Resume of shareholder(s)||Certificate of Incorporation|
|Shareholder’s bank reference letter||Continuity certificate|
|Board resolution||MOA and AOA of parent company|
|NOC from the local sponsor for manager||Board resolution|
|RIC form for shareholder(s), Director(s) and manager||RIC form for shareholder(s), Director(s) and manager|
|Share capital proof from the bank or trust account||NOC for the manager from current sponsor|
|Share capital proof from the bank or trust account|
- Signing and collecting the land lease agreement
- Collecting the Memorandum of Association and Article of Association after a signature
- Collecting the license and incorporation certificate
2. Branch of a Foreign Company
All stages will remain the same as that in setting up of FZ-LLC, except some changes in documents to be submitted in stage 2. The list of documents is as below:
- Registration application
- Trade License of parent company
- MOA an AOA of existing company
- UAE local sponsor has to give a No Objection Certificate (NOC)
- Registry Identification Code (RIC) form for the manager
- Board resolution for establishing a new branch
3. Branch of a UAE Company
- Companies that have operated at least for 2 years can open their branch by submitting an application form for a license, detailed business plan and UAE license copy
- The documents to be submitted remain the same as those mentioned for a branch of a foreign company
- The company has to select an office space and pay the requisite fee
- The final step is to sign and collect your lease agreement and license
- Submission of application form for the license, detailed business plan, a copy of the applicant’s passport, personal data sheet, and sample of work of the applicant
- Submitting the documents to the authority, selection of a suitable office space and paying necessary fees. Documents include:
- Application for Registration for freelancing activity
- CV of the freelancer
- Reference letter from the bank for an applicant
- RIC form of freelancer
- Signing the occupant agreement and collecting the freelance permit
Should you think of opening a business in Dubai Media City, Business Setup Worldwide is at your disposal from the very beginning. We have it all covered for you, be it the business plan or the legal documentation formalities. Our team of experts are there to make sure you get the ideal environment for setting up your business. Your business vision and objectives are at the centre of what we do. Extensive domain know-how, regional knowledge, cutting-edge infrastructure, client-centric systems and operational transparency are the hallmarks of the company formation process at Business Setup Worldwide, and we strive to provide the most congruous business solution for your needs.
Dubai Media City a perfect location to build your entity in the Media community with well-furnished and dedicated infrastructure, customer-centric legal procedures, operational transparency. We at Business Setup Worldwide help our clients in finding a hassle-free path of incorporating the business by providing legal advice, necessary taxation and accounts procedures, liaising with the right authority, and so on. So, build your business plan and contact us – let’s walk together in setting up your business in Dubai Media City.