Who We Are
Business Setup Worldwide is a platform to help you set up your business. Right from incorporation, registration and licensing to establishing your office space, we facilitate the formation of your company through expert counselling and incubation.
Strong commitment to high quality professionalism, comprehensive capability across varied segments of disciplines, proactive and continuous learning in ever changing global environment and ability to conceive innovative strategies and provide comprehensive support in executing such strategies distinguish Business Setup, and provide the competitive edge in ensuring growth.
Business Setup Worldwide proprietary business design techniques, combined with its specialized industry knowledge and global reach, enable companies to anticipate changes in customer priorities and the competitive environment, and then design their businesses and improve operations to seize opportunities created by those changes.
Why Does a Business Need Intellectual Property Services?
Intellectual property (IP) can be defined as the original and innovative product of human intelligence, creativity and/or mental labour that has some market value, and therefore warrants protection under the law. It comprises ideas, logos, literary works, inventions, names of services, products or companies, or processes related to computer, business or chemical, and much more. Any business that wishes to establish a national or international identity should take steps to protect the use of its IP.
The significance of IP cannot be ignored after it has become a globalization issue, and it has a profound effect in many quotidian fields like Health, Commerce, Labour, Environment and Culture, apart from investment & technological impacts.
How Intellectual Property Services Work
Intellectual Property in Bahrain is classified as legal protection for commercially precious products of human intellect. There are 3 forms of IP: patents, copyrights and trademarks.
- Patents: In Bahrain, patents are granted to inventors for inventions. These can comprise anything from equipment, tools, processes, chemicals, technology, software, etc.
To qualify for a patent in Bahrain, an inventor must generally create something that is:
- Of patentable matter
- Unique to patentee
- Merited and can be utilized
Under a patent in Bahrain, the patentee reserves the right stop or check others from using or trading the invention. Without explicit permission from the patentee, persons using the patent in any of these ways are infringing, and can be subjected to legal action.
Patents, trademarks and designs are protected in Bahrain by virtue of the Patent, Design and Trademark Law of 1995, as periodically amended. Protection is based on registration at the Patents and Trademarks Registration Office. The validity of a patent registration is for 15 years only. It can be renewed for 5 years given that the patent is of special significance and the income realized from it during the original term is not considerable relative to the expenses incurred.
- Trademarks: In Bahrain, trademarks are used to signify phrases, symbols, logos, slogans, etc., that are related to a business and product. Businesses therefore leave no stone unturned to have control over their trademarks. Hence, any person found infringing upon them through unlawful use could be subject to legal action.
Once a trademark application is filed, the trademark is examined as to its registerability. Trademark applications accepted by the Registrar are published in the Official Gazette. There is a 60-day period open for filing an opposition by any interested party. An opposition to the registration of a trademark should be prosecuted before the Registrar by an authorized agent or the proprietors themselves within the prescribed period as from the date of publication. Such an opposition case is settled by the Registrar. In the absence of opposition, a published trademark is registered, and the certificate of registration is issued. A trademark registration is valid for 10 years from the date of filing the application. Subsequently, a trademark registration is renewable for periods of 10 years each.
- Copyright: The Copyright Law protects authors of intellectual property such as books, paintings, photographs, radio/television programmes and software, and was implemented in order to fight copying of videotapes, audiotapes, artistic work and computer software.
The Copyright Protection Office examines applications for copyright protection, accepts the deposit of works after payment of fees, and registers the transfer of copyrights. The Office is also responsible for examining international copyright agreements and implementing those which Bahrain has executed.
Copyright protection lapses, usually, 50 years after the death of the author or, in the event of jointly owned intellectual property, 50 years after the death of the last surviving author.
As a specialist firm, Business Setup Worldwide offers the complete gamut of intellectual property services. Our team comprises intellectual property lawyers and trademark registration consultants, to facilitate the IP protection process for you. All in all, our job is to protect your intangible assets.
Benefits of Intellectual Property Services
- An intellectual property registration adds immense value to a business. By filing an IP, the owner obtains the legal right to ownership of the IP, and the right to prevent others from using the IP without permission
- An IP can be used in many ways, like:
- Protection of market share by not letting others use the same concept/idea
- Licensing the IP to third parties for commercial returns
- Selling the IP for a specified sum