Bahrain, a sovereign state, located ta the Persian Gulf, has been widening its reach to grab the attention of the international investors. The region turns out to be a perfect business investment destination that allows different types of business owners to come forward and invest. The area has scored a Doing Business Rank of 43 in the ease of doing business. With the continuous increase in the business establishment, the demand for Intellectual Property has turned out to be a mandate that every business needs to hold.
This guide outlines the essential aspects that one needs to be transparent while starting a business in Bahrain, as they need to implement the IP services at a later stage.
What is Intellectual Property?
Intellectual Property refers to the protection of human intellects that are used by commercial organizations. It comprises of ideas, logo, literary works, designs, inventions, names etc. In the growing competitive market, both at the national and international level, it becomes extremely vital to safeguard the company creations.
Intellectual Property Services in Bahrain
The growth of business entities has been constantly rising in the Kingdom of Bahrain, which has also leveraged IP implementation in the region. Bahrain has been one of the leaders among the GCC nations, and this has got strict regulations for the business entities to proceed with the implementation of the IP laws.
The Bahrain Intellectual Property Laws
The primary IP laws that get enacted in the Kingdom of Bahrain include:
- Law No. 6 of 2014 Approving the Law (System) of Trade Marks of the GCC (2014)
- Act No. 22 of the year 2006 Relating to the Protection of Copyright and Neighboring Rights (2006)
- Law No. 12 of 2006 Amending some Provisions of Law No. 7 of 2003 About Trade Secrets (2006)
- Law No. 14 of 2006 Amending some Provisions of Law No. 1 of 2004 in Respect of Patents and Utility Models (2006)
- Legislative Decree No. 11 of 2006 in Respect of Trade Marks (2006)
- Law No. 5 of 2006 on Designs of Industrial Circuits (2006)
- Law No. 6 of 2006 on Industrial Designs and Models (2006)
- Law No. 16 of 2006 Amending Law No. 16 of 2004 on the Protection of Geographical Indications (2006)
- Law No. 35 of 2005 Pertaining Amendment of Article No. 5 of Law No. 7 of 2003 on Trade Secrets (2005)
- Law No. 16 of the Year 2004 Relating to the Protection of Geographical Indications (2004)
- Law No. 1 of 2004 on Patents and Utility Models (2004)
- Law No. 7 OF 2003 on Trade Secrets
Types of Intellectual Property in Bahrain
Registration of IP in Bahrain involves few steps. Proceeding ahead with half or no knowledge might turn out to be troublesome. For a better experience, it is recommended to move forward with an expert, who can assist you in the complete procedure. There are different types of IP in Bahrain which includes:
The Copyright Law protects the authors if intellectual Property such as books, paintings, photographs, radio/television programmes and software. The copyright in Bahrain is recognized by the Copyright Law No. 22 of 2006. Also, the Kingdom of Bahrain is a part of the Berve Convention that outlines the basic principles of the copyright works. The copyright protection lapses, usually, 50 years after the death of the author or, in the event of jointly owned intellectual property, 50 years after the death of the last surviving author.
When it comes to copyright, Bahrain has got three international copyright agreements, namely:
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works
- Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights
- WIPO Copyright Treaty
How to Register a Copyright in Bahrain?
The copyright registration in Bahrain involves the following steps:
- Fill the copyright application form
- Submit the copies of the work you are registering for
- Pay the relevant fee
Patents are granted to investors who deal with inventions. These can comprise anything ranging from equipment, tools, processes, chemicals to software etc. The protection for a patent in Bahrain is 20 years (ten years for utility models) from the date of application. The patent application needs to be submitted to the Patent Office. To qualify for a patent in Bahrain, an investor must generally create something that is:
- Of patentable matter
- Unique to patentee
- Merited and can be utilized
How to Register a Patent in Bahrain?
The patent registration in Bahrain involves the following steps:
- Obtain the fate of filing
- Present the essential documents
- Applicant’s and investors’ details
- Specification of the invention, abstract or any claims
- Drawing (if any)
- Copy of the priority document
- Copy of the signed power of attorney
- Filing fee
- Once the documents are submitted, the relevant authorities will cross-check and approve the registration process.
In Bahrain, trademarks are used to signify phrases, symbols, logos, slogans etc. that are relayed to business and product. The protection period for a trademark in Bahrain is 10 years from the date of the application filed. Businesses, therefore, leave no stone unturned to have control over their trademarks. If any person if found infringing the same, legal action would be taken accordingly.
How to Register a Trademark in Bahrain?
The trademark registration in Bahrain involves the following steps:
- Fill the trademark application
- Present the essential documents
- Softcopy of the trademark in JPEG format
- Power of Attorney signed by the applicant of the trademark. It needs to be notarized by the Notary Public.
- Certified copy of the priority document
- Certified copy of home registration or any foreign registration
- Certificate of incorporation
- Certificate issued by the Registrar of Companies
- Certified issued by the Chamber of Commerce
- Once the documents have been submitted, it will go under formal examinations by the respective authorities.
- If the documents turn out to be error-free, the trademark will be granted within 6 months. In case if any error is figured out, the process might be terminated.
Why to Avail Intellectual Property Services?
Implementation of Intellectual Property Services adds immense value to the business. By filing an IP, the following benefits can be availed.
1.Company Creations are Saved
Once the IP is filed, it saves the business assets by restricting the competitors from copying the same. In general terms, we can say that the company creations get protected.
2.Complete Ownership of the Intellectual Property
Upon filing the IP for one’s business, the owner of the business holds full ownership of the company creations. This flexibility allows them to alter any changes in their respective properties.
3.Can be Monetized Any time
One of the advantages of holding an intellectual property is that it can be monetized at any point in time. Business owners can use the same to raise finance, apply for public or government funds etc.
4.Enhances the Brand
Intellectual Properties can uplift the brand recognition in the international market. This helps the business to grow and establish their presence in the national and international market.
Why to Avail Professional IP Services?
Experts in any domain are knowledgeable with the in and out processes. After company formation in Bahrain, most of the business owners prefer to proceed ahead with IP experts to avail the services. Some of the benefits of availing professional intellectual property services are highlighted below.
- The documentation process will be carried out at ease
- Experts are updated with the changes in the regulations
- Implement of any new law will be at the earliest
- Company creations are handled in a professional manner
How Can We Help?
Business Setup Worldwide is one of the best business consultants in the UAE, which has been focusing on providing hassle-free and straightforward business incorporation process. Our business advisors understand the intensity of the vital elements of a business and are well-versed with the intellectual property rules and regulations. Holding years of experience, they can provide tailored solutions meeting the business requirements. To proceed further and implement the intellectual property services, feel free to have a word with our advisors. Contact us today we'd be happy to assist.