Freelancing has become popular due to the pandemic situation in 2020. People nowadays prefer to be self-employed and want to do remote work. It is possible to do freelancing abroad. Many countries offer freelancing visas. The UAE is one of those jurisdictions.
If you are interested in doing freelance work in the UAE, this blog will guide you through the information.
What is a Freelance Visa in UAE?
So what is a freelance visa, and how does it work in the UAE?
A freelance visa in the UAE allows you to be a freelancer or run your business while working remotely. The UAE introduced this visa in 2019. You can also become a permanent resident of the country. You can easily obtain a freelance permit alongside the visa. Every free zone has a freelance visa to offer. Freelance Visa Dubai, for example, has different free zones such as Dubai Internet City, Dubai Media City, Dubai Design District, and Dubai Knowledge Park offer this visa. Each free zone authority approves the visa, a pink stamp in your passport, valid for two or three years.
Anyone can apply for a freelance visa in UAE who wants to work remotely or start their own business, or wants to do freelancing. This visa applies to people from different professions, such as education, media, communication and marketing, consultancy, technology, music and entertainment, events, etc.
Benefits of Having a Freelance Visa in UAE
The advantages of a freelance visa in UAE are as follows:
- The first benefit is that you will get flexibility at work. If you do freelancing in any of the abovementioned sectors, you don't have to worry about a 9-5 job.
- The next benefit is that affordability. Obtaining a freelancer visa in Dubai, for example, is affordable office space is not required for starting any new business, and the business setup cost is low compared with other jurisdictions.
- If you have a freelance visa in Dubai, you can work independently, and you will have access to the free zone and the entire UAE.
- Numerous companies operate in the UAE; therefore, getting freelancing jobs will not be complicated. You will get exposure to work in the emirate.
- Lastly, you can also sponsor your family members to live in the country with a freelance visa in UAE. However, you cannot sponsor employees with this visa.
Freelancer Visa Cost in UAE
various emirates offer freelance visas; however, a freelance visa in Dubai is the most affordable one. According to Dubai Development Authority, here is a list of freelance visa costs in Dubai:
- Freelance permit: AED 7,500
- Immigration card: AED 2000
- Freelance Visa: AED 4381 (1 year)
Types of Freelance Visa in UAE
The Dubai Development Authority launched the GoFreelance website to obtain a work permit in the UAE. The website will enumerate all the freelance visa requirements in UAE. There are different categories for a freelance Visa in UAE which are as follows:
Freelance Visa in Dubai for Residents
The people who are already staying in the country, they just need a freelancer work permit.
One advantage is you can still apply for this permit even if you have a full-time job.
Freelance Visa in Dubai for Non-Residents
If you are not a UAE national, then apply for a freelance visa to obtain a residency visa.
You can stay and work in the UAE if you have this permit.
Dubai Talent Pass
Obtaining this pass will allow you to stay and work in Dubai; however, you must apply for a freelance visa. People from different backgrounds, such as marketing, education, media, etc, can apply for this talent pass. Dubai talent pass was introduced by the DAFZA, Dubai Airport Free Zone Authority, and the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GRFA). The cost for this pass is AED 9500.
Green Residence for Freelancing and Self-employment
This pass is for individuals studying or holding a degree in a specialized field. They can obtain this pass without being an employer or sponsor. However, there is an annual income slab of AED 360,000 through their self-employment.
The Process to Obtain a Freelance License in UAE
Follow the below-mentioned steps to obtain a freelance license in the UAE:
- Finalize the freelance activity: There are numerous business activities that come under the freelance permit. Choose one suitable for your expertise.
- Select the authority: Every free zone has different authorities for license approval. Apply to the concerned authority according to your business activity.
- Obtain the permit: In the next step, submit the documents and fill out the application form for obtaining the freelancing work permit.
- Apply for a freelance visa: Obtain a residence visa once you get the freelance permit. With a freelance visa, you can stay and work in the UAE.
Obtaining a freelance visa in the UAE might be a complicated process for an ex-pat. Therefore contact some business consultancies to get that. Business Setup Worldwide is here to assist you in the process. Contact us for more information. We can guide you throughout the process at an affordable cost. Start your freelancing business in the UAE and enjoy the benefits.
Can a foreigner get a freelance visa in UAE?
Yes, a foreigner can also get a freelance day.
Do I Pay Taxes If I Have A Dubai Freelance Visa?
If your annual income as a freelancer is less than AED 375,000, VAT is not due. But, you must register for VAT and pay 5% if it exceeds AED 375,000.