To visit a foreign country, Visa is the essential requirement of all. All the visitors to Oman need to arrange for a Visa either before travelling or on reaching Oman, depending upon their citizenship. With the advent of technology, there is also a facility of applying for visas online which has been used for 71 countries. Let’s have a deeper understanding of what a Visa is and the various types of visa prevalent in Oman.
What is a Visa?
Visa is, necessarily, an approval from the side of the government to visit or stay for a period of time in the country. It is usually in the form of a stamp which is placed on one of the pages of the passport. Be it an investor or a tourist; every foreigner needs to have a visa if he/ she wants to be in a country. In Oman, the visitor can choose from various types of visa as would be required by the foreigner.
Types of Visa in Oman
There are various types of Visa present in Oman, but mostly five types of them are prevalent among the public. They are as follows:
This visa will allow a foreigner to visit the country of Oman up to a period of thirty days and can be extended for the same period. It is valid for use within six months from the date of issuance and allows only a single trip to the country. The reasonable fees of this visa are 20 Omani Riyals but on the expiration of this visa, a fine of 10 Riyals per day is levied on the tourist.
If a foreign investor has the desire to invest and set up a business in Oman, he needs to acquire an investor residence visa. The person should also get a certificate of doing business from the relevant authority. The visa is valid until six months from the date of issuance following the verification of the investment. When verified, the investor is granted two years of residence permit which can be further renewed by the approval of the concerned authority.
The employment visa will permit the holder to come to Oman for employment purposes. It can be granted if the foreigner fulfils two requirements which are
- The age of the person should not be below 21 years or above 60 calendar years.
- A local Omani needs to sponsor the foreigner and will take the responsibility in case there is any discrepancy in the information provided.
The visa will be valid for a period of three months and this period can be extended to the same duration. The original fees for the permit as well as the extension are 20 Omani Riyals, but in the case of a late renewal, 50 Omani Riyals will be charged.
4.Multiple Entry Visa
If a foreign investor does not want to reside in Oman, he may ask the local sponsor to submit an application stating so, and the sponsor would be liable for the foreign businessman. It can also be granted without a sponsor but to only those nationals whose countries are pre mentioned in the list. This visa will be valid for a period of six months to a year and will allow the holder to reside in Oman for not more than three consecutive weeks in each visit.
Transit visa has been further divided into three sections:
Air Transit Visa
This visa is given to expatriate at the relevant airway routes by an application which is submitted by the aviation carrier. It entitles the holder to enter Oman but only once and could reside in the country for a period of 72 hours. The investor should, also, carry enough money to cover the expenses as well as a valid ticket to continue the journey.
Road Transit Visa
This visa is valid for a period of two months and is granted by the competent authorities in coordination with the various embassies of Oman. It entitles the holder to go to the neighbour countries of the sultanate through legal routes for a period of a maximum of three days.
Sailors Transit Visa
Those sailors who entered the country through sea but have an intention to leave through the air route require the Sailor Transit Visa. They could stay in the country for five days after which they will have to pay a fine of ten Omani Riyals per day.
The ones mentioned above are some of the most current visas among the public. There are many more types of visa in Oman. Now let’s see what the documents required to get a visa in Oman are.
Documents Required to Get a Visa
- In case the application is presented by someone other than the sponsor, the representative must be Omani and holding a written authorisation issued from the Directorate General of Passport & Residence as per the sponsor’s request
- Copy of the foreigner’s passport which should be valid for at least six months
- Two passport sized photographs (4X6 cm)
- Original labour permit issued by the Ministry of Manpower and a copy of it for each application form
- Copy of the approval of the concerned authority for specific professions such as Educational professions, Religious professions, Media professions, Medical, etc.
- A medical fitness certificate issued for citizens of countries like India, Pakistan, Philippines, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Syria, Sudan, Ethiopia by the Ministry of Health and endorsed by the same
It is advised to keep these documents handy while applying for an Omani visa. It should be noted that some documents may be added to the requirements depending upon the type of visa that has been applied. Let’s now have a look at the process to get a permit in Oman.
How to Get a Visa in Oman?
The process of getting a visa is relatively simple. If one follows the steps below, the passport would be received by them in under two weeks. Hers is what one has to do:
- First, the visa application must be filled in the online Visa Application Form
- Then a complete print out must be taken of the form
- The above-mentioned documents must be enclosed with the form and then couriered to the nearest visa office
- The application can then be tracked online
- Once the process is complete, the passport will be sent back to the applicant through a registered courier service.
You can apply for an Omani Visa all by yourself, but it would require you to follow specific guidelines as set by the government of Oman. This would be a cumbersome process and would divert your attention from setting up your business. Thus, it is recommended that you hire the services of a firm that would help you in acquiring a visa, among other services.
We at Business Setup Worldwide, have a wide range of business-related services such as tax and corporate secretarial services and would also help you in the registration of your company. For more details about the services that we provide, contact us- we would be happy to help.