The dental profession is one of those few that has grown extensively in the last few years. From correcting teeth to perfecting smiles and now it involves cosmetic related treatment too. This widens the market of dentistry. Tooth related defects are common all over the world and it has become common practice to correct these defects. With an increasing population in Dubai, the market is only growing by the day. Setting up a Dental Clinic in Dubai would be an ideal option for a dentist. With the lifestyle and tax benefits that follow, even an expat could make a living and save immense amounts of money. The government of Dubai encourages health care and always assists investors in health care. Since all kinds of facilities cannot be provided by Government Health care, the Government of Dubai encourages and provides help to set up a dental clinic.
A clinic can be set up in the mainland as well as certain regions in the free zones such as Dubai Healthcare City.
The following basic procedures have to be followed by an individual interested in setting up a dental clinic in dubai
- The desired trade name needs to be reserved and registered. This is done through the Department of Economic Development (DED).
- The individual is then required to file an application to the DED for initial approval, this application should also include several documents along with the application
- The next step involves applying for a license. This is explained in detail in the latter part of this article.
- The next step is to prepare the required documents like memorandum of association, lease agreement for registration of the clinic.
- The penultimate step includes absolute approvals from the Dubai Healthcare Authority(DHA) and the Department of Economic Development(DED). This step involves the submission of all documents and initial approvals with the required fee for payment for registration of the clinic. A license is issued after verification of these documents.
- The final step is to apply for a DHA License by creating an account on the DHA portal. The license will be provided by the DHA after processing and verifying all documents.
Pre-requisites for Licensing
A Professional license is a must to operate a dental clinic in Dubai. This license can be obtained from the Department of Economic Development. Further, this license needs approval from the Dubai Healthcare Authority (DHA) which is the absolute authority that provides appropriate licenses for doctors, interns, and other practising individuals. Another pre-requisite is a local service agent for the purposes of registration.
The proprietor who intends to open a dental clinic in Dubai must have any one of the following degrees
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery(BDS)
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
The Degree must be from a recognised institution.
There are a few other things to be kept in mind. Such as
- If the graduate is from one of the UAE Universities or College, then such a program and university has a mandatory accreditation requirement from the Ministry of Health Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR)
- The graduate is required to intern for at least a year post-graduation.
- The applicant is mandatorily required to have a valid license to practice, from their last country of employment or their home country.
For the Dental Certificates to be accepted there are certain conditions that have to be satisfied.
- These certificates must be obtained only after completing a full-time clinical residency course program of a minimum of three years in duration.
- A Full-time Clinical Master Degree of at least two years in duration
- A Full-time Clinical PhD of at least three years in duration.
- Time-barred Specialisation certificates are only considered if they are valid at the time of application
- Specialists who have a TIER 1 or TIER 2 qualification do not require experience after completing their specialty program.
There are certain Dental Specialisations recognised by the Dubai Healthcare Authority.
- Oral Medicine
- Paediatric Dentistry
- Forensic Dentistry
- Oral Surgery
- Dental Radiology
- Restorative Dentistry
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Primary care dentistry
Procedure for Registration
- The first step is to register In the Dubai Healthcare Authority official portal
- To obtain the license, the documents required are as follows
- Personal Information
- Mark list of the whole year
- Educational Transcripts ( Original)
- Nationally recognised education qualifications mandated by the DHA Professionals Qualifications Requirements (PQR)
- A valid certificate of good standing which hasn’t crossed 6 months from the date of issue.
- Medical Fitness test if the applicant is over 65 years of age and this test can be piloted by only DHA medical fitness centres.
- A copy of a valid Passport of the applicant
- Passport size Photograph
Moreover, there is an assessment conducted by the DHA that has to mandatorily be cleared to obtain the professional license. The assessment will either conducted online (Prometric) or might be oral depending on the specialisation and category of the professional.After the said assessment,letter of eligibility might be given if the exam is successful is given from the recruiting facility along with the facility stamp as well as the signature of the authorized person or the Medical Director.
Dubai has a great market for dentistry and cosmetics as well. The scope for specialisation is just starting to look bright.Planning to set up a Dental clinic in Dubai?,the process might feel tedious for someone who isn't well versed with the procedure. We at Business-Setup Worldwide are experts at this field,feel free to contact us , we’d love to help you out.