Opening a company for conducting your business indeed is most of the work done to materialize your business idea. However, it is not the only thing that is needed to be done to run a successful business.
Many other formalities and compliances are required to be completed to have an up and running business. Registering a trademark is one of the important things that you must do after offshore company formation in RAK.
We have already covered the trademark registration procedure in a previous blog; in this one, we will be mainly focusing on the renewal and cancellation part of a trademark in RAK. All the seven emirates that form the UAE have to follow the trademarking laws of the UAE.
Trademark Validity in the UAE
A trademark registered in the UAE carries a validity of 10 years, after which it is required to be renewed by following the procedure prescribed by law.
After registering a trademark in the UAE, the protection granted to your brand is limited to the jurisdiction of the UAE and not anywhere else in the world.
Trademark Registration Charges in the UAE
AED 8,700 is charged for trademark registration in UAE. It is then accompanied by an additional AED 1,000 for publication purposes in the official journal, and there will also be a personal expenditure for publication in two local newspapers.
How to Renew Your Trademark in the UAE
- The renewal process can be approximately completed in 3 months
- For each class, a separate application is required
- After the trademark expires, a three month grace period is granted for filing for renewal
- The renewal application must be filed within the last year of the valid protection period.
- The agent filing the renewal should be an agent of record; if that is not the case, then an application for change of agent should be filed to meet the guidelines
- After the above-mentioned things have been executed, the renewal application should be filed at the Trademark Office (TMO), and the renewal and publication fees should be paid according to the requirement
- The TMO examines the application and then tells about its decision to the applicant; if accepted, the renewal will then be published in the official gazette and two local private newspapers for 30 days to make the general public aware of the renewal; anyone challenge this can't because the registration has already taken place
- A renewal certificate is issued following the end of the publication period.
- The trademark renewal will be valid for another ten years starting from the expiry date of the previous protection period.
It must be noted that for each month that you delay the trademark renewal from the date of expiry of the protection period in the UAE, you will need to pay AED 1,000 as a fine.
The trademark renewal in the UAE can be completely done online in a similar way of registration:
- Go to the Ministry of Economy’s website
- Select ‘Trademarks’ from the Services page
- Select Modification and Maintenance Services
- Click on ‘Trademark Renewal’ from the dropdown list
- Along with the application form, you will also be required to upload a copy of the old registration certificate.
The fee required for the renewal of a trademark in the UAE is AED 6,700.
How to Cancel a Trademark in the UAE
Cancellation of trademark registration can also be made in the UAE. You need to visit the Ministry of Economy’s website.
- Go to the ‘Trademarks’ page on the website
- Then located the Modification and Maintenance Services tab,
- Under the tab, you will find a service labeled as ‘Cancel Registered Trademark By Owner Request.’
In order to complete the cancellation procedure, you will be required to fill out an application form and submit the required documents. The main document that will be asked from you is a copy of the old registration certificate along with other documents.
A cancellation fee of AED 1,500 must be paid after the submitting of the cancellation application. Once your application is accepted and approved, an announcement of the cancellation should be published in two local Arabic-language newspapers, following which the process will officially be deemed to be complete.
How can we help?
We here at Business Setup Worldwide excel in providing offshore business services to help you get through the tiring and burdensome legal processes. There are multiple core reasons to hire an offshore business consultant.
Contact us today to get a free consultancy and the help of experts who provide customized business solutions.