An intellectual property license in Botswana has to be renewed every 10 years.
Botswana, officially referred to as the Republic of Botswana, is a South African country which happens to be Africa’s longest continuous multi-party democracy. It is bordered by South Africa on the south and south-east, Zimbabwe on the north-east, and Namibia on the west and north. Botswana is majorly occupied by the Kalahari Desert.
Botswana is known for 2 things: diamonds and wildlife (elephants in particular). The country is one of the leading diamond producers in the world, with its Orapa mine being the biggest diamond mine in the world in terms of value and quantity produced annually. The primary industries in Botswana are mining, tourism and animal husbandry.
Company Incorporation in Botswana
A company may be incorporated in Botswana as one of the following entity types.
- Sole Proprietorship: A sole proprietorship is a company by a single person, known as the sole proprietor. He/she reaps the entirety of the profits and also bears unlimited liability for the business, implying that he/she is personally liable for any debts or obligations of the company.
- Partnership: A partnership is similar to a sole proprietorship in all respects, except that it is owned by 2 or more people.
- Private Limited Company: A private limited company in Botswana can be formed by 2 to 50 members. A Botswana private limited company is required to appoint at least 1 director (who must be a local resident) and 1 shareholder (who can be of any nationality). It must have a registered office in Botswana.
- Public Limited Company: A public limited company in Botswana can be formed by more than 50 members. It must appoint at least 2 directors (1 of whom is required to be a resident of Botswana) and 7 shareholders.
- Branch Office: An overseas firm may set up a 100% foreign-owned company in Botswana in the form of a branch office. It may be used to carry out business activities within Botswana, and calls for only 1 director and 1 shareholder for its incorporation.
- Representative Office: A representative office is set up to purely for market research or promotion purposes. It is not allowed to carry out commercial or business-related activities.
Benefits of Company Incorporation in Botswana
Setting up a company in Botswana has the following benefits:
- Botswana allows free outflow of capital and profits, and does not exercise foreign exchange controls or restrictions – fostering investment activity.
- Botswana, being Africa’s longest standing democracy, has a stable political environment.
- The literacy rate in Botswana is high, with the official language being English.
- In terms of banking and finance, Botswana is one of the most developed countries in the continent.
Who We Are
Business Setup Worldwide is a platform to help you start your company. We assist you in setting up your business through counselling and incubation. We specialize in incorporation services, registration, licensing, financial accounting services, in addition to other value-added ancillary functions.
Business Setup Worldwide's proprietary business design techniques, in addition to its deep regional know-how and global reach, enable you to foresee changes in the market and target segment, and then model your businesses and modify operations to seize the opportunities created by those changes.
Goal-oriented service, wide reach in company setup experience and industry domain breadth, adaptability to the changing global market trends, and the ability to come up with innovative business strategies and provide requisite support in implementing such strategies distinguish Business Setup Worldwide, providing your business the edge it requires for consistent growth.
What are the requirements for setting up a small business in Botswana?
The requirements for setting up a small business in Botswana are
Reserve a unique company name
Declaration of compliance for incorporation
Registration of the company
Receive inspection of company premises
Obtain an industrial license or trade license
Open a bank account
Obtain a tax identification number from the tax authority
Register for value-added tax
Is Botswana a good place for doing business?
Yes, Botswana is a friendly place for doing business.
How do I start a construction company in Botswana?
If you wish to start a construction company, follow the below steps
Register your business
Pick a Relevant Name
Register with CIPA
Appoint the Right Company Secretary
Open a Bank Account
Register for Botswana Revenue Services (BURS)
Register for PPADB
Get a Trade License
Can foreigners invest in Botswana?
Yes, foreigners can invest in Botswana.